Faces of Peace took part in Kenyan Youth Post-2015 Synthesis held on 30th-31st May 2013, at YMCA, Nairobi.
The documents that were synthesized during the youth workshop included:
- African Youth Declaration on Post-2015 Agenda
- Recommendations from the Kenya consultation conducted by VSO and Restless Development
- Outcome of the Monrovia Youth Roundtable
- Communiqué of the Youth Session in Bali Meeting
- Report of the online Africa Youth Survey on Post-2015- Specific Kenyan voices.
- Millennium development goals : status report for Kenya 2011 (by ministry of planning and Vision 2030)’
- Ageing in the Twenty-First Century: A Celebration and A Challenge (a report by UNFPA and HelpAge)
The conveners in consultations with other youth serving organizations selected various documents that formed the basis of the discussions, including the Kenyan 2011 MDG status report by the Ministry of Planning and Vision 2030. The Organization of African Youth-Kenya has also been running sms and social media based platforms that also offered raw data on youth views on Post 2015Agenda. Some of the feedbacks were obtained through Face Book and Twitter.
During the workshop, the participants worked in panels/groups and securitized the documents to identify a trend of common emerging issues that are relevant to the Kenyan youth. Twitter Handle #kenyawewant was used to interact with other Kenyans and pass key messages
After the intense synthesis, the identified key issues were discussed and a draft document availed. The draft document was then subjected to analysis, debate and adjustments. The outcome document was then validated as the Kenyan Youth position on Post 2015.
The Kenyan Youth position on 2015 document will be fed into other formal process so as to enhance its value. These are:
- Kenya National CSOs forum
- Kenyan National Consultation on Post 2015